Thursday, December 29, 2011

And... more contests

Okay, so I'll admit it. I don't have the energy to come up with anything interesting to say, so I'm VERY excited when I find a contest I can blog about instead. I have some posts in the works (by "works" I mean "an idea came to me two days ago, which I have subsequently forgotten"), but for now, other people's contests are good enough for me. :)

These TWO contests aren't even for writing--you don't have to have a WIP, a polished first page, or any sort of query. You just have to like free books.

First up is a contest by Kasie West, who is hilarious and sold her debut novel this year--it will be published in January 2013. If you're not following her blog yet, pop on over just for that.

Her contest involves a multiple-choice prize: you can win a free book (of your choice), a 50-page crit, or a query crit. I honestly can't decide which one I want. I keep going back and forth. Free books are awesome. Always. But, really, how often do I get a contracted-to-be-published author to critique any part of my book? And 50 pages? Wow. But, dang it, I need sooo much help on my query! Which one should I pick? (Assuming, of course, that I'm going to win. Because I'm gonna!)

To win Kasie's contest, you just have to comment, with extra points for tweeting and/or blogging. Her contest ends Friday, December 30th.

Next up is a contest by Shannon Messenger, who has a brand-new look to her awesome blog and a debut Middle Grade novel coming out in 2012. Shannon does regular contests to give away middle-grade books, but this one is a recap of her favorites from this year, so you get to choose between the five she lists. They're awesome, so I definitely want to win... though, again, I can't choose which book I want.  I'll probably pick BEYONDERS... though PETER NIMBLE sounds awesome... as does THE UNWANTEDS... and I'm definitely going to have to look up book 1 of NERDS... and, though I'm not a huge cupcake fan (it's a self-taught survival thing), SPRINKLES AND SECRETS sounds very sweet. *sigh*

So you might want to rush over and do your best to save me from having to choose. :) Shannon's contest ends when the ball drops in New York City, and all you have to do is leave her a comment.

So how is everyone doing on their last-minute 2011 goals? Do you have any chance of meeting them? I know at least one of mine that I'm deferring to 2012, but I'll blog about that... um... how about on Saturday? Yeah, I'll do a year recap on the last day of the year, which is perfect since none of you will be online to read it. :D

Happy Holidays, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us the heads up on all the contests going on in the blogosphere. I know what it's like having nothing to blog about. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Robin.

    *heads out to check out some blogs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to hear about contests - and have been known to blog about them myself a time or two :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh . . . contests. Sign me up.

    Also, it's not a contest, but Witch Song is only 99 cents today on Amazon and B&N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a happy new year! I need to go check those blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the contest info.

    I am really surprised, but I am closer to reaching my 2011 goal of polishing up my MS then I even imagined I could be just 2 months ago. 2011 has been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up about Kasie. Just popped in to say happy New Year, Robin!

    ReplyDelete

Help prove the void can talk back...